Mosquitoes in Killingworth Test Positive for Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EEE)
Mosquitoes trapped in Killingworth have tested positive for Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EEE), a rare but serious disease caused by a virus that is transmitted by mosquitoes. Some of the mosquitoes tested were species that are known to bite humans.

All residents of Killingworth are advised to avoid outdoor activities from one hour before to one hour after dawn and dusk.

Additional precautions to avoid mosquito bites include:
• Be sure door and window screens are tight fitting and in good repair.
• While outdoors, wear shoes, socks, long pants, and long-sleeved shirts. Clothing material should be tightly woven.
• Use mosquito netting if sleeping outdoors.
• Consider using mosquito repellent when it is necessary to be outdoors and always use them according to label instructions. The most effective repellents contain DEET or Picaridin. Oil of lemon eucalyptus is also effective for brief periods of exposure.
• When using DEET, use the lowest concentration effective for the time spent outdoors (for example, 6% lasts approximately 2 hours and 20% for 4 hours)and wash treated skin when returning indoors. Do not apply under clothing, to wounds or irritated skin, the hands of children, or to infants less than 2 months.

Measures to reduce mosquitoes around the home include:
• Dispose of water-holding containers, such as ceramic pots, used tires, and tire swings, and clogged gutters.
• Drill holes in the bottom of containers such as those used for recycling.
• Change water in bird baths on a weekly basis.
• Clean and chlorinate swimming pools, and cover pools when not in use.
• Use landscaping to eliminate areas where water can collect on your property.

Additional resources for information on EEE and mosquito management can be found at

For more information, please contact the Killingworth Health Department at (860) 663-1765 x223.
Election Day is Tuesday, November 5, 2019. Polls will be open from 6 a.m. until 8 p.m. at Killingworth Elementary School.
Click on the boxes above right to view a sample ballot or print an absentee ballot application. Absentee Ballots are available in the Town Clerk's Office to qualified electors who meet statutory requirements. Please contact the Town Clerk's Office at 860-663-1765 x502 with any questions.
NEW Transfer Station Hours and Town Hall Hours
Because of the presence of human-biting mosquitoes carrying the Eastern Equine Encephalitis virus, the Transfer Station will close at 6:00 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays until further notice. Saturday hours will be extended to 3:00 p.m.

Killingworth Town Hall is now open Monday - Wednesday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Thursday 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., and Friday 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon.
A Special Town Meeting will be held at 6:30 p.m. on Monday, October 28, 2019 in the Emergency Operations Center, 323 Rotue 81.
Please click on the "Public Notices" button above right to view the Legal Notice.
Welcome to virtual Killingworth
The real thing is better, of course — we have miles of country roads, even more miles of old stone walls, hundreds of acres of woods and streams, starry skies. We also have a great community, which includes the renowned rehabilitation center for birds of prey, the first net-zero home in Connecticut, dozens of sports teams for children of all ages, community gardens, historic places, and a score of active civic groups.

Virtual Killingworth, however, will answer many of your questions, save you trips and phone calls, and help you understand the town government. It will give you access to many services the town offers and allow you to keep up with what’s going on in the various committees and commissions that govern Killingworth. You can also communicate with Town Hall easily and quickly by clicking here (in an emergency, however, please call 911).

Whether you live in the real Killingworth or are just visiting, please let us know what we can do to serve you better.

First Selectwoman Catherine Iino
Killingworth "Tags" New Top Dog

Ushta, an adorable toy poodle mix, is Killingworth's new TOP DOG!.

But don't be fooled by his small stature - Ushta demonstrates more personality and confidence than most dogs 10 times his size. A little black bundle of curls, Ushta strolled into Town Hall and made it his own, charming everyone he met along the way. Five years ago, Ushta found himself homeless and abandoned in the New Haven Animal Shelter, but this take-charge kind of pup knew exactly what to do. When he spied a woman at the shelter looking like she needed a new best friend, he went right up, jumped into her lap and the rest is history. Ushta had picked his new family and he never looked back! He now spends his days playing with his human brother Felix, his best pup-friend Julia and his favorite stuffed lion. But his favorite of all days are the days he goes for a ride to… the… dump! Yes, Ushta, you fit in perfectly here in Killingworth and we are proud to call you our TOP DOG!

Killingworth's #2 Top Dog is 8 year-old Oreo, a handsome black and white Labrador mix, whose large size and impressive strength mask his sensitive personality. Oreo was rescued in North Carolina and moved to Killingworth about 5 years ago, where he soon befriended the Beagle next door becoming soul mates. When his best friend passed away, Oreo became sad and his-ever wagging tail fell still. To cheer him up his family jumped into action getting him a Beagle of very own and his tail hasn't stopped wagging since! Sports fan Oreo loves attending football and soccer games and, of course, playing with his little sister Reilly in his spare time.

And rounding out Killingworth's top 3 is Luna, a stunning Springer Spaniel who never stops smiling. Luna, born 12-13-14, bounded into the Town Clerk's Office to collect her prize (and maybe a cookie or two) giving new meaning to the term "happy feet"! This exuberant pup spreads happiness with every bounce despite a health issue that requires her to endure monthly shots and daily medication. Luna plays with her sister Daisy, a Jack Russell/Rat Terrier mix, and favorite deflated yellow ball all day and loves to go to bed with her mom and dad every night.

Town of Killingworth
323 Route 81, Killingworth, CT 06419
Contact by Email
Click for Emergency Services
Click for Calendar
Pay Your Taxes Online
Click for Public Notices
Click for Information on Email Notifications