Town Clerk

Town Clerk2024-01-05T09:18:24-05:00

The Town Clerk’s Office is the first point of access to Killingworth government for most town residents and is available to assist you in any way that we can. We strive to answer all questions, but if unable we will happily point you in the right direction to find an answer. The Town Clerk is also the keeper of Killingworth’s public records, including land records, vital records, board and commission minutes, and veteran’s discharge papers.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I pay with a credit card?2022-11-05T13:22:03-04:00

We cannot accept credit cards in the Town Clerk’s Office.  However online dog license renewals and online land record copies must be paid with a credit card.

How do I get a copy of a birth certificate?2022-10-05T12:56:01-04:00

A certified copy of a birth certificate is available to eligible parties of at least eighteen years of age, with valid identification, in the Town Clerk’s Office of the town in which the birth occurred or the town in which the mother resided at the time of the birth. (Request for Certified Copy of Birth Certificate) If the request is made by mail, a copy of the applicant’s current photo identification must be attached. The cost of a full-sized certified copy is $20.00.

How do I get a marriage license?2023-05-26T09:31:47-04:00

A marriage license must be obtained from the Town Clerk’s Office of the town in which the ceremony will take place. Both parties to the marriage must appear in person, with photo identification, and complete a Marriage License Worksheet. The fee for a marriage license is $50.00, and the license is valid for 65 days.

A certified copy of a recorded marriage certificate is available for a cost of $20.00 from the Town Clerk’s Office of the town where the wedding took place or the town of residence at the time of the ceremony. (Request for Certified Copy of Marriage Certificate).

All fees are payable by cash or check; credit cards cannot be used.

How can I get an absentee ballot for an election/primary/referendum ?2023-11-16T10:25:54-05:00

CT law does not allow no-excuse absentee voting.  Instead, absentee ballots are available for specific reasons including the existence of “illness”. You can apply for an application entirely online with a valid CT driver’s license on the CT Secretary of the State’s website at, download an application here or pick one up in the Town Clerk’s Office. The application must be signed in ink by the voter and returned to the Town Clerk’s office for a ballot to be issued. Please check with us for specific eligibility requirements and dates of availability.

Do I have to license my dog? If so, how and when?2023-05-26T09:30:22-04:00

State law requires all dogs to be licensed by the Town Clerk’s Office by six months of age.  Dog licenses can be renewed either in person, or by mail during the month of June, and the license is valid July 1 through June 30. Owners must present proof that the dog has an up-to-date rabies vaccination and supporting documentation if the animal has been spayed or neutered. The fee for the license is $8.00 if spayed/neutered or $19.00 if intact. There is a $1.00 monthly late fee for licenses issued after June 30.


Town Clerk Dawn Rees Mooney
Asst. Town Clerk Michele O’Toole
Asst. Town Clerk Ellen Nixon
(click to email)

PHONE: 860-663-1765 ext. 502
FAX: 860-663-4050

Office Hours

Monday – Wednesday
8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Thursday 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

Friday 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon
(Office may close for lunch. Please call ahead.)

Go to Top