PERSONAL PROPERTY DECLARATIONS
DUE NOVEMBER 1, 2023
In accordance with Connecticut General Statues §12-40, all persons liable to pay taxes on personal property as of October 1, 2023 are hereby notified that they must file a Declaration of Personal Property with the Assessor’s Office no later than November 1, 2023 or be subject to an estimated assessment and the statutory twenty-five percent (25%) penalty.
The Assessor’ Office, as a courtesy, mails Personal Property Declarations to anyone who (the office knows) is conducting business in the Town of Killingworth. Failure to receive a declaration does NOT nullify obligation to declare taxable personal property to the Assessor in the form and manner prescribed. If you have terminated, moved, or sold your business as of October 1, 2023, you must complete the Affidavit on the front page of the declaration and return it to the Assessor’s office by November 1, 2023. Otherwise, the Assessor must assume that you still own taxable personal property and have only failed to declare it. Additional documentation, such as dissolution paperwork, may be required. If the business closed/moved/sold after October 1, 2023, you are still responsible for a full year of taxes, as Personal Property taxes are not pro-ratable.
We encourage complete and timely filing and are available to assist taxpayers who have questions regarding the proper reporting for personal property.
Personal Property Legal Notice
Personal Property FAQs
Am I a Business
2023 Declaration of Personal Property
Itemized Listing of Assets
REMINDERS AND DEADLINES
OCTOBER 31, 2023
* Exemption Application for Farm Machinery (M28) AND 2022 Schedule F form
* Application to classify property under PA 490 Farm, Forest, or Open Space
NOVEMBER 1, 2023
* Filing of Personal Property Declaration
* Filing of Lessee’s Report
* Application for Manufacturing Machinery & Equipment Exemption
* Application for Commercial Vehicle Exemption (Form M-65 and M-65MV)
DECEMBER 31, 2023
* Application for exemption of (1) motor vehicle for those currently serving in the US Armed Forces
If you have any questions, please contact the Assessor’s office by phone at (860)663-1765 Ext 506 or by email AssistAssessor@townofkillingworth.com.