Animal Control Officer

The Killingworth ACO is responsible for handling all concerns regarding domestic animals as well as providing information referrals and intervention for concerns regarding wild animals. The officer checks for messages during their business hours of Monday-Friday 7 am to 3 pm and Saturday 7 am to 12 noon. Please leave name, telephone number and reason for call and your call will be returned. If you need 24/7 emergency veterinary assistance, call 860-347-8387. For urgent wildlife calls, such as an injured or aggressive animal, please call DEEP at 860-424-3011.

Marian Smith, ACO  860-663-1765, ext. 219

Community Gardens

The Killingworth Community Gardens’ mission is to provide residents with an opportunity to come together for the purpose of food production, environmental education and to encourage multi-generational gatherings. Individuals and groups at all levels of gardening expertise are welcome. The gardens are located at Parmelee Farm, 465 Route 81, just north of the HK Middle School. Parking is available in front of the farmhouse as well as in front of the gardens. For more information please visit


Town Counsel: David J. Tycz, Howard, McMillan & Tycz
Bond Counsel: Pullman & Comley
Engineer: Nathan Jacobson & Assoc.
IT: Sydell Associates, LLC
Website: PurpleDog Web Productions

Fire Marshal

Dennis Campbell – (c) 860-391-5603      Email –
Deputy Fire Marshal: Jim McDonald, Jeff Heser (Clinton FM)

Justices of the Peace

Killingworth has up to fifteen Justices of the Peace: five from each major political party and five unaffiliated justices, designated by the Town Clerk. Justices are endorsed for four-year terms in U.S. presidential election years.

Justices of the Peace may

  • Administer oaths (CGS 1-24)
  • Take acknowledgments (CGS 1-29)
  • Join persons in marriage (CSG 46b-22)
  • Take depositions (CGS 52-148c)

The Justices of the Peace currently serving in Killingworth are:

Killingworth Library

301 Route 81, Killingworth
Phone: 860-663-2000

Municipal Historian

The Municipal Historian, appointed each year by the Board of Selectmen, advises the town on matters related to the historic legacy of Killingworth.

Thomas Lentz, 

Open Burning Official

Residents who wish to kindle an outdoor fire, other than in an outdoor grill, fireplace, or approved incinerator, must obtain a permit beforehand from the Open Burning Official. Such fires may not be within 50 feet of a building or other structure, and such burning must be conducted only between sunrise and sunset. The Open Burning Official grants or denies open burning permits in accordance with Section 22a-174 of the Connecticut Statutes as amended, the regulations of the Department of Environmental Protection, and Killingworth Ordinances. Owing to environmental and safety concerns, open burning is not encouraged.

Ethan D. Drain 860-853-8835

Parmelee Farm

Parmelee Farm is a 130-acre historic site located at 465 Route 81 in Killingworth. Many community activities are held there, including stonewall building workshops, hikes, and the Boy Scouts’ Klondike Derby. The Parmelee Farm connects our community to the natural environment and cultural heritage of Killingworth through education, preservation, passive recreation, and the arts.
For more information please visit

Probate Court

Killingworth belongs to the Saybrook Probate District, located in the Old Saybrook Town Hall, 302 Main Street, Old Saybrook, Connecticut 06475. The court is open Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Under special circumstances, arrangements may be made to meet with the court in Killingworth.

Jeannine Lewis, Judge of Probate 860-510-5028

Public Transportation

River Valley Transit (RVT), a transit agency operated by the Estuary Transit District, provides transportation resources to Chester, Clinton, Deep River Durham, Essex, Killingworth, Lyme, Middlefield, Middletown, Old Lyme, Old Saybrook and Westbrook. RVT offers a range of services including Dial-A-Ride, ADA Paratransit options, fixed route and deviated fixed-route buses, as well as free connections to CTtransit and SEAT, and most are open to the general public.  For more information go to

Social Services

The Municipal Agent for the Elderly assists town residents by providing information and referrals to local, state, and federal services and benefit programs. The Municipal Agent is familiar with programs and benefits such as Medicare, Medicaid, SNAP (Food Stamps), Social Security, protective services, legal services, adult day care, housing, transportation, and local senior and community groups.

If you receive a letter indicating you are being sent a new Medicare Card and you actually receive a new card, it is a precautionary measure taken by the Center for Medicare & Medical Services (CMS) because of a data breach – IT IS NOT A SCAM.  When in doubt, Medicare Recipients should call MEDICARE or engage the Senior Medicare Patrol if they have questions or concerns.

Mercedes Riccuiti , Municipal Agent for the Elderly 860-663-1765, ext. 217

UR Community Cares

Eversource Discount Rate Information

Eversource Discount Rate Application

2023 Energy Assistance Checklist

2024 Renters Rebate Program Checklist

Tree Warden

The Tree Warden is responsible for the care and control of all trees on public properties in Killingworth, including roadways. If a tree is scheduled to be removed or pruned, the Tree Warden will post a notice on the tree at least five days in advance, unless the tree poses an imminent threat to public safety. If an objection is registered, the Tree Warden will hold a public hearing on the matter and render a decision in writing. The Tree Warden is appointed by the Board of Selectmen for a one-year term.

Robert Bruce Fagan 860-663-1765, ext. 403

Veterans’ Services Representative

Contact for the Department of Veterans’ Affairs.

Richard P. Mason 860-663-1765, ext. 501